Monday, February 27, 2012

Standing Trial Before Pilate


Luke 23:13-25

(click here to read the scripture)

Looking Toward Jesus:

Jesus stands before an angry mob and the person who has the authority to free him or kill him: Pilate. They accuse him of all kind of things as a violent fervor grows. Pilate is hesitant, but in the end gives way to the crowds wishes. And Jesus remains silent, through it all he remains silent. Look deeply into his eyes in this moment, what is sustaining his silence? How can he continue to love and forgive the very people who would kill him?


Looking Inward:

Have you ever felt on trial, felt like you were being attacked, felt like someone or even a bunch of people were out to get you? How did you respond? How would you feel if you were Jesus in this moment? What would it take to hold your silence, and offer forgiveness instead of anger or hatred?


Looking Outwards

It’s easy to hop on the band wagon, to join in popular opinion, and make rash judgments about people. How do you keep from getting caught up in crowds like this? When the world is angry and demanding violence, how do you stand for peace and grace? Who do you know that might feel right now a little like Jesus did in that moment, and how can you speak a word of love into their lives?

2 comments:

  1. An interesting thing that Cynthia and I noticed is that Jesus didn't speak up when people were shouting. Usually when being attacked is when humans feel most compelled to speak up. We want to defend our position and tell people why we are right and they are wrong. Silence is also not the silent treatment that we tend to give people when we are mad either.

    I, Ron, was reminded of when people on Facebook called for blood or celebrated in the death of bad guys (The CopKiller in Lakewood and Osama Bin Laden, for example). Some got caught up in blood lust and soon things were coming up about them "getting what they deserved". I got more angry about this and reminded my Christian friends about peace and grace, but somehow this was different. Many debates ensued, but in the end, I wonder if silence was the best for this scenario?

    Some thoughts from the Pai's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Jesus eyes in this painting intriguing. I think of times when people were making bad choices or just plain being mean and it was hard to look at them, not because I was angry but because i didn't want them to see the full scope of the pain they were causing me. Did Jesus eyes pierce the crowd, or did they slant away like this, was he maybe even holding back the tears of a broken heart?

    I like what the Pai's put above, I feel like I always speak when I should be silent and I'm silent when I need to say something. There is great compassionate wisdom in this picture of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete